Free School Meals
If you have children up to the age of 19 years in full-time education at a Hillingdon school, you may claim for free school meals if you receive a qualifying benefit.
You must be receiving one of the following benefits to claim free school meals:
- 'Income Support' or 'Income-based Job Seekers Allowance'
- 'Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit'
- 'Child Tax Credit' with an annual taxable income, as assessed by HMRC, not in excess of £16,190
- Support under part VI of the 'Immigration and Asylum Act 1999'
- 'Employment and Support Allowance' (income related)
The following benefits do not qualify for claiming free school meals:
- 'Contribution-based Job Seeker's Allowance'
- If you (or a partner) are also awarded 'Working Tax Credit' regardless of your family's income
- 'Contribution-based Employment' and 'Support Allowance'
- Incapacity benefit and DLA
Local authorities do not set the qualifying criteria for free school meals and we are unable to waive them. Any change to the criteria is a matter for central, not local government.
If you have a child starting school for the first time, and already receive free school meals for other children, you will still need to complete a new application.
You can apply online at https://myfreeschoolmeals.com and get an immediate answer. If you are eligible, your child's school will be notified within five working days.
Apply in person at our school reception
You will need to supply the following details so that the school can assess your application:
- Your National Insurance Number / NASS number (can be found on your beneﬁt letters)
- Your date of birth
- Your surname
- Your full address
- Your child(ren)'s details
If you have any questions about applying for free school meals, please contact us.
Changes to your benefit entitlement
Please contact the school immediately if your benefit changes or ends, as it may mean that you no longer qualify to claim free school meals. If it is found that you did not notify us that you were no longer entitled to claim free school meals, you will be invoiced for the cost of all school meals taken free to which your child(ren) were not entitled.
- Benefit Helpline: 0845 3003900 Mon-Fri: 8am-8pm and Sat 8am-4pm
- JobCentre Plus: 0800 0556688 Mon-Fri: 8am-8pm